Open Memorial Day through Labor Day, on Sundays from
2:00 - 4:00
Open by appointment: Call
City Hall at 712-668-2231
Would you believe this small pioneer type
house was home for a family of seven? This old house was
once home for the proud parents who raised five children there and its
door was always open to others.
Nels Magnus Peterson and his wife Mary
Caroline purchased a lot in Odebolt on December 28, 1885 at a price of
$100. The house was completed in 1886. Three girls and two boys were
raised in the small frame house. The last of the Peterson family to live
in the house was Edith, who passed away in 1973.
By this time the Peterson property was
owned by the city of Odebolt. The historical value rests in the fact that
the one and a half story house is still in its original form.
Recognizing the education and historical
value of the house and yard, members of the Odebolt Questers (a group
interested in preservation of the past) called a meeting of
representatives of local clubs and organizations to present the
possibility of restoration. Seventeen organizations sent representatives
and a slate of officers was selected. The officers met with the Odebolt
City Council asking them to retain ownership of the property and allow the
people of the community to renovate, furnish the house, and take care of
the yard and garden. The request was granted after proof of
sincerity. A fund-raising campaign was conducted and sufficient
funds raised to start the project.
The first floor was completed in 1975 and
the upstairs was completed in time for the Bicentennial observance and
open house on July 4th, 1976 with the help of many local volunteers.
The home looks much as it would have in the
1880's, so much so that people viewing the house have remarked that
someone could move right in!
The house was moved to a space across from the
Odebolt Museum in 2012.
Groups or individuals are welcome to tour
the home. Contact Odebolt City Hall (205 W. 2nd St.) 712-668-2231
to schedule a tour.